Welcome, Visitor. Please Sign In or Commit Yourself. Jul 23rd, 2014, 11:51am

Home Home Lobby Lobby Help Help Search Search Patients Patients Sign In Sign In Commit Yourself Commit Yourself

Essex Mountain Sanatorium OMG! Files...

Essex Mountain Sanatorium
   Discussion
   Daily News
(Security: LionelTrainGuy)
   OMG! Files...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  12 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: OMG! Files...  (Read 10315 times)
riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

Ars longa, vita brevis...

View Profile

OMG! Files...
« on: Jul 25th, 2011, 10:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

SAfrican man wakes after 21 hours in morgue fridge
JOHANNESBURG, Mon Jul 25, 02:52 PM  
A South African man awoke to find himself in a morgue fridge - nearly a day after his family thought he had died, a health official said Monday.

Health department spokesman Sizwe Kupelo said the man awoke Sunday afternoon, 21 hours after his family called in an undertaker who sent him to the morgue after an asthma attack.

Morgue owner Ayanda Maqolo said he sent his driver to collect the body shortly after the family reported the death. Maqolo said he thought the man was around 80 years old.

"When he got there, the driver examined the body, checked his pulse, looked for a heartbeat, but there was nothing," Maqolo told the Associated Press.

But a day after staff put the body into a locked refrigerated compartment, morgue workers heard someone shouting for help. They thought it was a ghost, the morgue owner said.

"I couldn't believe it!" Maqolo said. "I was also scared. But they are my employees and I had to show them I wasn't scared, so I called the police."

After police arrived, the group entered the morgue together.

"I was glad they had their firearms, in case something wanted to fight with us," Maqolo said.

He said the man was pale when they pulled him out.

"He asked, 'How did I get here?'" Maqolo said.

The health department said the man was then taken to a nearby hospital for observation and later discharged by doctors who deemed him stable.

Kupelo, the health department spokesman, urged South Africans to call on health officials to confirm that their relatives are really dead.

The man's family was informed that he was alive during a family meeting convened to make funeral arrangements. They're very happy to have him home, Maqolo said.

But Maqolo said he is still trying to recover from the traumatic experience.

"I couldn't sleep last night, I had nightmares," he said. "But today I'm much better."

IP Logged

The trains roared by like projectiles level on the darkness,
fuming and burning, making the valley clang with their passage.
They were gone, and the lights of the towns and villages glittered in silence.
riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

Re: OMG! Files...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 3rd, 2011, 12:20am »

Civilization in Decline
Growing Up Early:  

A loaded handgun fell from the pocket of a kindergarten student in Houston in April, firing a single bullet that slightly wounded two classmates and the "shooter."  

Prosecutors in Grant County, Wis., filed first-degree sexual assault charges recently against a 6-year-old boy, stemming from a game of "doctor" that authorities say he pressured a 5-year-old girl into in 2010.  

Lakewood, Colo., police, attempting to wrest control of a sharpened stick that a second-grade boy was using to threaten classmates and a teacher, gave him two shots of pepper spray. (The boy had just finished shouting to police, "Get away from me you f---ers.")  

Tippecanoe County (Ind.) judge Loretta Rush, interviewed by the Journal & Courier of Lafayette, Ind., in June, underscored parental drug use as a major risk factor in a child's drifting into substance abuse. "I had a case where a child was born with drugs in his system," recalled Rush. "Both parents were using. We were looking for (placing the child in any relative's home), but both sets of grandparents were using. So (the) great-grandmother's in the courtroom, and I had asked her if she would pass a drug screen, and she said she would not ...."  

RIADAS RETORT: Great Grandma wont pass a drug screening?  *OMG!!*
IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 6th, 2011, 11:55pm »

Full-Circle-Outsourcing:

A Mumbai, India, company, Aegis Communications, announced in May that it will hire about 10,000 new employees to work in its call centers fielding customer service problems for U.S.-based companies. However, those jobs are not in India. Aegis will outsource those jobs to Americans, at $12 to $14 an hour, at nine call centers in the United States.

People Different From Us:

Self-described Las Vegas "performer" Staysha Randall took 3,200 different piercings in her body during the same sitting on June 7 to break the Guinness world record by 100 prickings. (Veteran Las Vegas piercer Bill "Danger" Robinson did the honors.)  

Coincidentally, on the very same day in Edinburgh, Scotland, the woman with the most lifetime piercings (6,925) got married. Elaine Davidson, 46, wore a full white ensemble that left bare only her face, which was decorated green and sported 192 piercings. The lucky guy is Davidson's longtime friend Douglas Watson, a balding, 60-something man with no piercings or tattoos.  

IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 7th, 2011, 11:55pm »

Calif. man selling Hitler's parents' portraits  

ORANGE -- An Orange resident is auctioning off oil-paint portraits of Adolf Hitler 's parents that once hung in one of the Nazi dictator's mountain homes.  

Ken Biggs, 72, says he acquired the portraits of Alois and Klara Hitler in France in the early 1970s from his wife's cousin, who was "terrified" to have the paintings and intended to cut up the relics.  

The cousin's husband, the story goes, was a French soldier in World War II and took the artwork as war souvenirs from somewhere near the Austrian-German border during the Allied occupation after Nazi forces were defeated.  

The soldier cut them out of their frames and rolled them up -- along with five other paintings Adolf Hitler owned -- and put them into some type of weapon to take home. They sat in a burlap sack at the soldier's home for more than two decades. The soldier's wife was never fond of having them, and she told Biggs she seriously was considering destroying them.  

But Biggs talked her into letting him take possession of the artwork for their historical value and so he could sell them to help the cousin, who has experienced financial hardship since the death of her spouse in the 1950s.  

"I thought they should take their place in history," he said of the paintings.  

Biggs had to promise his wife's cousin that he would never reveal who gave him the paintings, which is why he asked the Register not to disclose his French wife's first or maiden names.  

"Anything to do with Hitler still puts a lot of fear in many Europeans who lived through the war," Biggs said.  

Biggs said he will keep some of the proceeds to reimburse himself for the time and money he put into the effort, but most of the proceeds will go to his wife's cousin.  

The five other paintings that Biggs acquired include depictions of a bridge in Amberg, two separate bunkers, Roman ruins and an eagle in the Alps.  

All seven paintings owned by Hitler are up for auction Sept. 1-17 at cgmauctions.com by Craig Gottlieb Militaria, but the two pictures of Hitler's parents are clearly getting the most attention.  

"These portraits are very famous images from the Third Reich period, having appeared on postcards, on Klara Hitler's gravestone, as well as in a period-catalog of art owned by Hitler," stated the auctioneer. "Until recently, the whereabouts of these portraits were unknown."  

Gottlieb says black-and-white photographs of the two portraits held in the "Katalog der Privat-Gallerie Adolf Hitler" listing at the Library of Congress depict the exact two works of art, "down to every last brush stroke." Another photograph from the era shows the set of portraits hanging in one of Hitler's rooms at Berghof, one of Hitler's residences in the Bavarian Alps of Germany, he said.  

Due to improper storage, the paintings suffered minor damage and were professionally restored by a company that performs work for major museums worldwide, Gottlieb said. He estimates the pair of portraits of Hitler's parents, which will be auctioned together, will fetch at least $100,000.  

IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 9th, 2011, 10:50pm »

A More Reputable Career:

Thomas Heathfield was a well-paid banking consultant with a promising career in Maidenhead, England, but gave it up this year to move to South Africa and endure rigorous training as a "sangoma" ("witch doctor"). After five months of studying siSwati language, sleeping in the bush, hunting for animal parts, vomiting up goats' blood and learning native dances, Heathfield, 32, was given a new name, Gogo Mndawe, and is now qualified to read bones and prescribe herbal cures (among the skills expected of sangomas by the roughly 50 percent of South Africa's population that reveres them). He admitted concern about his acceptance as a white man calling out African spirits, "but when (the people) see (me) dance, perhaps those questions go away."

Riadas Retort: "He admitted concern about his acceptance as a white man calling out African spirits," He should have been ADMITTED, out of CONCERN for his mental state...
He stated:  "but when (the people) see (me) dance, perhaps those questions go away." Where will the questions go? To the same place his sanity went?
IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11th, 2011, 11:17pm »

Man fired for washing himself with own urine
VIENNA, Thu Aug 11, 10:17 AM  
A famed Austrian museum has fired an employee for washing his hands and face with his urine.

Alfred Zoppelt says he was fired after 23 years of working as an attendant at the Belvedere, a castle in Vienna with a major art collection. He says his adherence to urine therapy was previously "never a problem."

Zoppelt, 57, said Thursday his notice from Belvedere says he was fired because "you regularly rub urine into your skin, particularly the face and hands. With this, you soil your place of work ... and threaten the health of your co-workers."

A woman answering the Belvedere press department phone confirmed that Zoppelt was fired but refused to give her name or further information.

Believers in urine therapy claim medical and cosmetic benefits but these have not been proven.

Riadas Retort: Alfred Zoppelt says,  his adherence to urine therapy was previously "never a problem." Really? EWWWW...remind me to avoid "The Belvedere" the next time Im in Vienna...O M G !!

IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20th, 2011, 11:51pm »

According to an AP report, a Swedish real estate agent has an unusual piece of property up for sale: a five-bedroom house, complete with medieval tomb and skeleton in the cellar.

Typically, real estate agencies choose to downplay--or even conceal--creepy characteristics of a home. Not in this case. The agent is openly disclosing the presence of the home's 800-year-old tenant.

The central Visby town house house, on the Baltic Sea island of Gotland, was built in 1750 on the foundations of an old Russian church that dates back to the 13th Century. The kitchen lies on the presbytery, and the tomb containing the skeleton -- visible through a glass panel--is in the cellar. Riada Retort #1: Arent all houses similarly equipped?

The real estate agency's owner Leif Bertwig says there is no reason to be afraid, as the skeleton "lies in consecrated soil and rests in peace." Riada Retort #2: Oh, that would put my mind at ease...

We can't say the same for another man's remains recently discovered in Louisiana. They'd gone missing for 27 years until being discovered in the chimney of Abbeville National Bank by a contractor. According to an ABC News report, the bones were recovered during a renovation in May but only recently have tests shown them to be the remains of Joseph Schexnider, who disappeared in 1984 at the age of 26. "This was absolutely the first chimney recovery we had ever had," said the head of the lab where the tests were conducted. As for how the young man ended up in the chimney, she added, "no one will ever know."

Riada Retort #3: OMG!
IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 21st, 2011, 10:35pm »

Italian Friars Pray For Diarrhea To Afflict Church's Bible Thief  

It's often referred to as "Montezuma's revenge," but maybe now it will be known as "Tuscan friars' revenge."  

An order of Italian friars, angered at a recent theft of bibles from their church in Tuscany, have prayed for the unknown bandit to be struck down with a most unusual ailment -- a bout of diarrhea.  

As The Guardian is reporting, friars from the 15th century church of San Salvatore al Monte -- where Michelangelo once worshipped -- were irritated when both a rare and expensive Bible was stolen, followed by the disappearance of a replacement book donated by a local within a few hours.  

Fed up by the thefts, the group finally posted a bizarre warning, printed in both English and Italian, on the church's front door, which reads: "We pray to the Lord that these thieves are struck down by a strong case of diarrhea and that this will be a stimulus for them not to steal," according to the Daily Mail. Other sources, including NBC, have quoted the note somewhat less delicately as reading, "We pray to God that the thief is struck by a strong bout of the sh--s."  

Though the friars are arguably guilty of their own sins, such as praying for vengeance and using profane language, at least one of them believes all will be forgiven. "The language used by the brother who wrote the notice may not have been very clean," an unnamed priest told Italy's La Stampa newspaper, according to The Telegraph. "But the Lord, and the faithful, will understand."

Riadas Retort: Friars talking S**t? OMG!
IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26th, 2011, 11:56pm »

Cuban man '24' proud of his 4 extra fingers, toes
BARACOA, Cuba, Fri Aug 26, 09:20 PM  

They call him "Twenty-Four." Yoandri Hernandez Garrido's nickname comes from the six perfectly formed fingers on each of his hands and the six impeccable toes on each foot.

Hernandez is proud of his extra digits and calls them a blessing, saying they set him apart and enable him to make a living by scrambling up palm trees to cut coconuts and posing for photographs in this eastern Cuban city popular with tourists. One traveler paid $10 for a picture with him, Hernandez said, a bonanza in a country with an average salary of just $20 a month.

"It's thanks to my 24 digits that I'm able to make a living, because I have no fixed job," Hernandez said.

Known as polydactyly, Hernandez's condition is relatively common, but it's rare for the extra digits to be so perfect. Anyone who glanced quickly at his hands would be hard-pressed to notice anything different unless they paused and started counting.

Hernandez said that as a boy he was visited by a prominent Cuban orthopedist who is also one of Fidel Castro's doctors, and he declared that in all his years of travel he had never seen such a case of well-formed polydactyly.

"He was very impressed when he saw my fingers," said Hernandez, who is the only one in his family to be born with extra digits.

In a part of the world where people's physical traits are often the basis for nicknames - even unflattering ones like "fatty" or "shorty" - "veinticuatro" ("twenty-four" in English) is not an insult but rather a term of endearment, and Hernandez, now 37, said his uniqueness has made him a popular guy. He has a 10-year-old son with a woman who now lives in Havana, and his current girlfriend is expecting his second child.

"Since I was young, I understood that it was a privilege to have 24 digits. Nobody has ever discriminated against me for that," he said. "On the contrary, people admire me and I am very proud. I have a million friends, I live well."

Nevertheless, it occasionally caused confusion growing up.

"One day when I was in primary school, a teacher asked me how much was five plus five?" Hernandez recalled. "I was very young, kind of shy, and I didn't say anything. She told me to count how many fingers I had, so I answered, "12!"

"The teacher was a little upset, but it was the truth," he said.

Hernandez said he hopes he can be an example to children with polydactyly that there's nothing wrong with them.

"I think it's what God commanded," he said. "They shouldn't feel bad about anything, because I think it's one of the greatest blessings and they'll be happy in life."

IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Aug 27th, 2011, 10:48pm »

Police: Pa. newlyweds shoplifted reception food
CENTRE HALL, Pa., Thu Aug 25, 09:35 AM  
A couple of Pennsylvania newlyweds are behind bars after police say they were caught shoplifting food from a supermarket for their wedding reception.

The Centre Daily Times reports 32-year-old Arthur Phillips III and his bride, 22-year-old Brittany Lurch, "You Rang?"were arrested Saturday after taking more than $1,000 in merchandise from a Wegmans supermarket in State College.

Patton Township police say the couple was captured on surveillance footage loading a shopping cart and leaving the store without paying.

The Centre Daily Times report ( http://bit.ly/nlijHG) says the Centre Hall couple admitted taking the items when arrested. Police say the newlyweds told officers they'd been married a couple days earlier and took the food for their wedding reception that afternoon.

They are charged with misdemeanor counts and are being held on $2,500 bail.

RIADAS RETORT: I'd like to take this time to offer a few words of advice to those out there who are considering tying the knot...Dont get married if you cant even afford a wedding, or a reception as it were...OMG!
IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29th, 2011, 12:31am »

Clark Gable grandson charged with crimes

The grandson of the late actor Clark Gable was charged in Los Angeles on Tuesday with pointing a laser at a police helicopter and momentarily blinding two officers on board, prosecutors said.

Clark James Gable, 22, whose parents are Tracy Yarro and John Clark Gable (Date of Birth 20 March 1961, four months after Clark Gables death) was set to be arraigned on Friday on three counts of discharging a laser at an aircraft.

The late actor's namesake, who was born on September 10, 1988 at a hefty 10 lbs,  is the first Clark Gable to grace the family since his grandfather died in November 1960,  aimed the green laser at a Los Angeles police helicopter flying above a nighttime event in Hollywood on July 28, according to the local District Attorney's Office.

The laser was flashed twice more at the helicopter, and the officers determined the beam came from a small red car, prosecutors said. Officers on the ground stopped the vehicle, and arrested Gable, who was riding as a passenger.

Gable faces up to three years in prison if convicted.

The late Clark Gable was an Oscar-winning actor best known for his role in 1939 classic film "Gone with the Wind." He died in 1960.

Riadas Retort: Im sure the elder Gable is spinning in his grave...OMG!
IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 30th, 2011, 10:48pm »

Heres another one that kinda spans several threads, but what decided it for me was the "over-reaction" of the guy in the article...it left me saying.... OMG!

Washington man lights beehive on fire after sting
LYNDEN, Wash., Mon Aug 29, 10:50 PM  
A Washington state fire chief says a man dumped gasoline on a beehive in a tree in retaliation for a bee sting, then ignited the hive, causing an explosion heard throughout his suburban neighborhood just a few miles south of the Canadian border.

Lynden chief Gary Baar tells the Bellingham Herald (http://bit.ly/pBBpg0) that the Sunday night fire caused a large "whoosh," singed the tree and killed the bees but no people were hurt.

Baar says the man's friend had been stung earlier in the day.

The fire chief says, "The correct way to do that is to call a beekeeper."

Firefighters explained that to the homeowner, and the newspaper says it doesn't appear that that the man will be cited.

IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 11:34pm »

Ok, this one isnt a funny or weird OMG...

A 21-year-old mother was arrested by Gilbert, Az., Police on Saturday after she allegedly tried to calm her infant daughter by blowing marijuana smoke in the girl's mouth.

Witness footage allegedly shows Jessica Callaway on Friday telling her 10-month-old to, "shut the f*** up before I kick you in the mouth," as she repeatedly hits the baby to get her to stop crying, The Arizona Republic reported.

Callaway, whose Facebook page is "loaded with postings about pot and parties," according to ABC-15, told police that she was frustrated because she was "having trouble finding an outfit to wear out that night." Riadas Retort: Poor Baby...maybe somebody should have kicked YOU in the mouth...

Police said that Callaway later confessed to hitting her daughter and explained to authorities that she was "having a bad day."

Callaway's friend allegedly told cops that the young mother also blew weed smoke directly into her daughter's mouth to try to relax the child and stop her weeping.

"The friend noted the baby seemed thirsty after ingesting some of the weed," according to the Phoenix New Times.

Callaway was released from jail on $2,700 bond and now faces three counts of child abuse. She is scheduled to appear in court on Thursday.

Riadas Retort: Oh man, there is sooooo much I could say on this subject...I can only hope that CPS swooped in to take that poor baby away from this immature and SELFISH individual... Angry Angry OMG!!!

IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Sep 1st, 2011, 11:13pm »

HERES ANOTHER STORY THAT COULD EASILY WORK IN ANIMALS IN THE NEWS, BUT I CANT BELIEVE THIS GIRL DID THIS...

Alaska woman punches bear in snout to save dog
JUNEAU, Alaska, Thu Sep 01, 10:12 AM  
A Juneau, Alaska, woman says she knows it was stupid to punch a black bear in the snout to save her dog.

But Brooke Collins says the attack happened so fast that all she could think about is keeping her dachshund, Fudge, from being killed.

The 22-year-old says as soon as she let her dogs out Sunday, Fudge started barking and she saw the bear carrying him like a salmon.

Collins told the Juneau Empire ( http://bit.ly/qJVzQ3) she did the first thing she thought of and punched the bear's face and scooped away her dog when it let go.

The startled bear took off through bushes to a mountain.

Fudge suffered some claw and bite marks, but they weren't deep. Collins says he appeared to be more shocked than injured.

RIADAS RETORT:  Shocked Shocked OMG!
IP Logged

riada
Lounge Boss
All Ward Access

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Sep 5th, 2011, 11:03pm »

Black Widow eats 183 chicken wings in NY contest
BUFFALO, N.Y., Sun Sep 04, 10:24 PM  
The Black Widow of eating contests has scarfed down 183 chicken wings in 12 minutes to break her own world record set last year in Buffalo, N.Y.

Sonya Thomas took home first place Sunday at the tenth annual National Buffalo Wings Festival. She beat eating marvel Joey "Jaws" Chestnut, who came in second with 174 wings.

The two won titles at the July Fourth hot dog eating contest on Coney Island.

The 100-pound Thomas of Alexandria, Va., is the reigning wing-eating champion. She downed 181 wings to win the 2010 contest. Chestnut of San Jose, Calif., settled for second with 169 wings.

The winner gets $1,500. The runner-up wins $750, and third place gets $300.

Thomas is called the Black Widow becomes she often beats male competitors in eating contests.

Riadas Retort: 183? I wonder if they were "hot wings" Either way, OMG!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ...  12 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Essex Mountain Sanatorium » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.