Welcome, Visitor. Please Sign In or Commit Yourself. Sep 17th, 2014, 7:31am

Home Home Lobby Lobby Help Help Search Search Patients Patients Sign In Sign In Commit Yourself Commit Yourself

Essex Mountain Sanatorium ę Roosevelt Island, NYC Ľ

Essex Mountain Sanatorium
   Discussion
   Urban Exploration
(Security: hidinginshadows)
   Roosevelt Island, NYC
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Roosevelt Island, NYC  (Read 1640 times)
Pedro
Attendant
Ward C

What the f-ck is a frush?

View Profile WWW Email

Roosevelt Island, NYC
« on: Apr 6th, 2006, 6:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I visited Roosevelt Island, NYC with my girlfriend last Sunday. We walked over to the southern tip of the island where the ruins of the old smallpox hospital are. Despite the tall fences, large "NO TRESPASSING" signs and razor wire, there was a gate that was wide open, even propped open with a chain.†I notice some people had wandered over to the other side.†I couldnít go in because my girlfriend wouldnít go and I didnít want to leave her alone outside the gate (Roosevelt Island is a bit deserted and there are some unsavory looking characters wandering around). Anyone know how tight security is there?†Iím thinking of exploring on my own this spring/summer? Is it worth it?
IP Logged

It eluded us then, but that's no matter -- tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther . . . And one fine morning ---- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
thedavec
Ward C

View Profile

Re: Roosevelt Island, NYC
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 11:36am »

I'd roll with you for that.
IP Logged
Resa
Administration

Everyday above ground is a good day.

starchild6662000   Starchild2729
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 11:32pm »

Roosevelt Island was just on the news.. Channel 4.. A couple people were stuck in the tram for about 6 hours.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1858231  

NEW YORK Apr 18, 2006 (AP)ó Two cable cars carrying dozens of people were left hanging over a river for hours on Tuesday when the cable system lost power because of a mechanical problem, and police prepared to mount a daring rescue.  

At least a dozen of those stranded in the tramcars were school-age children or babies.  

Both cars of the Roosevelt Island Tramway, which shuttles commuters and tourists between Manhattan and Roosevelt Island while offering breathtaking views of the city from up to 250 feet high, stopped moving around 5:15 p.m., stranding about 70 people, said Herb Berman, president of the agency that operates the system.  

The tramcars still were stalled after 11 p.m., occasionally swinging gently, while engineers worked to restore power and police and firefighters tried to figure out how to get the people down.  

A rescue basket running on diesel and capable of holding up to 10 people was being sent up to the stranded cable cars. One of the tramcars had about 46 passengers plus an operator, the other about 21 passengers and an operator, police said; each can hold about 125 people. No injuries were reported.  

Police, who were in contact with both gondolas through cell phone and radio, said the rescue would take several hours, with passengers to be transferred off the stranded cars 10 at a time.  

Scores of people gathered on the ground to watch.  

The tram system, which opened in 1976 to carry Roosevelt Island residents to and from midtown Manhattan, is the only commuter cable car system in North America, according to the Roosevelt Island Operating Corp. Web site. It has been featured in movies such as "Spider-Man" and "City Slickers."  

It travels 3,100 feet at an average speed of 16 mph in around 5 minutes and has served more than 20 million people, the RIOC site says.  

Tramcars on the system stall occasionally, the last time around Labor Day, said Berman, who didn't know the cause of Tuesday's service outage.  

Roosevelt Island, which sits in the East River between Manhattan and Queens and is part of the former, is about 2 miles long and about 800 feet wide. About 10,000 people live on the island, which also is accessible by bridge and subway.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

IP Logged

Make love not war. If you want to do both -
get married.

Simon: Haven't you been listening?
Dr. Karen: Refresh my memory.
Simon: People pick on me.
Dr. Karen: People pick on me. I don't slice them ear to ear.
Simon: Maybe you should.

(The Ugly)
Pedro
Attendant
Ward C

What the f-ck is a frush?

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 2:21pm »

Maybe we'll take the subway . . .
IP Logged

It eluded us then, but that's no matter -- tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther . . . And one fine morning ---- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Essex Mountain Sanatorium » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.